Thanks to all who attended the 8th Annual Wild Food Summit! Also, kudos to all who pitched in to help in the kitchen, to camp and make this a really wonderful Summit. Presenters were outstanding! Cooks rocked it – pit cooking et al.! The Dutch ovens saw some serious food from Strada to Sourdough Bread. Special thanks to our wonderful volunteer coordinator too.
As you know if you ever have attended a Summit, as we get wild harvested food, the cooks often make dishes up as they go. We just don’t always have recipes for everything created. However, we bet with these ingredients you can make up your own recipe or adapt one from an online version. Please explore these dishes and feel free to make up recipes and let us know how it goes. This is not in order of food served, but includes some recipes and ingredients:
Wild Rice Hot Cereal with Dried Blueberries
Condiments to serve with Hot Cereal: Wild Plum Juice, Birch Syrup, Maple syrup, Chokecherry Syrup, Dehydrated Wild Berries
- Wild Rice Hotdish (Gluten-free and Vegan): Morel Mushrooms, Nettles, Wild Garlic, Wild Leek, Onions, Wild Rice, Fingerling Potatoes, and Parsley some burdock
- Wild Leek Strata: Bread, Salt Nettles, Wild Leek Bulbs, Swiss Cheese, Milk and Garlic
- Coleslaw: Cabbage, Carrots served with Birch syrup dressing
- Birch Syrup Dressing: Birch Syrup, Olive Oil, Balsamic Vinegar, Salt, Pepper and Honey.
- Cream of Burdock Soup: coconut milk, potatoes, nettle, Burdock, onions, salt and pepper
Gluten-free & vegan Cornbread Recipe (For 25 servings in a 9×13 pan)
Preheat oven to 350, or preheat a cast iron dutch oven in coals of campfire.
At the Wild Food Summit, I put this much in one 12 inch dutch oven, but it would have cooked better if it had been put in two dutch ovens and been a thinner layer for cooking through without burning on the bottom.
4 cups cornmeal
2 cups sorghum flour
6 Tbls ground flax seed
1 tsp salt
2 Tbls baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/8 tsp powdered cayenne pepper
3/4 Cup honey
1/2 Cup oil (olive, canola, sunflower, whatever you have)
2 1/2 Cups warm water (or more)
Berries and/or nuts
Combine all dry ingredients in large bowl, stirring thoroughly. Combine warm water, honey and oil in medium bowl. Stir well to dissolve honey. Add liquid ingredients to the dry ingredients, stirring just enough to moisten everything. Batter should be the consistency of a shake, not runny, but not too stiff to pour. If batter is too thick, add a bit of water.
Add whatever berries or nuts you feel inspired to. (Berries can be added to the liquid ingredients before stirring into the dry.) The WFS cornbread had black nightshade berries and black walnuts (though perhaps not enough of the latter to notice.)Pour into greased pan, and bake for 30 minutes or until toothpick or knife comes out clean when poked into the center.
- Venison Lo Mein: Venison (served in separate bowl), Black Bean Sauce, Olive Oil, Onion, Tomatoes, Green and Red Peppers, Wild Mushrooms; Morrels and Chicken of the Woods, Lo Mein, Soy Sauce, Sesame Oil, Egg Noodle, Chicken of the Woods, Oyster Mushrooms, Asparagus, Bean Spouts and Napa Cabbage
- Pit Cooked Dinner (wrapped in burdock leaf) free range chicken, root vegetable and Yukon potatoes served with a wild garlic mustard dip.
Dandelion Pancakes with Sesame Leek Vinaigrette
¼ C dandelion flour
1 C flour or gluten free flour
1 T honey
2 T baking powder
Pinch of salt
1 cup water
2 T oil
Sesame Vinaigrette Dressing
Pickled Wild Ramp Juice
Wild Leek/Wild Ramp
Salt and Pepper to taste.
- Wild Rice Salad #1; Wild Rice, Greens: Lamb Quarters, Wild Ramp, Sautéed in Sesame Oil with Wild Garlic. Optional: Add garden greens like spinach, kale or even asparagus
- Wild Rice Salad #2; Wild Rice, Free Range Turkey or Chicken, Lamb Quarters, Pickled Daikon, Pickled Carrot, Wild Garlic, Water Mint,Asparagus, Shallots, Wood Sorrel, Sesame Oil. Add Plum Vinaigrette Dressing
- Plum Vinaigrette Dressing: Olive Oil, Cider Vinegar, Mustard, Plum juice
- Rhubarb Parfait: with macaroon granola, rhubarb persimmon compote, vanilla birch syurp custard and wild blueberries
- Raisin Strata with maple syrup